- Year of construction: 17th century, with a later reconstruction around 1850
- Location: about 130 km to Rīga
- Address: Neretas muiža, Nereta municipality, Nereta district
- Property area: The manor house is approx. 600 sqm
- Plot size: 146,000 sqm
- Owner: Private
- Price: 49,000 Euros
- Commission: 3.5% incl. VAT for the buyer
- Cancellation Policy
The Manor House of Nerft (Nereta) is located in the southeast of the Semgallen region, just before the Lithuanian border. The first documented mention of Nerft is in 1298. The estate was part of the Ascheraden commandery. In 1561 the Teutonic Order entrusted Wilhelm von Effern, governor of Riga, with the estate. The property then stayed in the family until the mid-17th century. At this time it changed hands by inheritance to the von Plettenberg family, who owned it until 1697.
Subsequently, the ownership again changed several times. From 1824 to 1920, Nerft became the property of Schuwalow countship. The Baltic poet Eliza von der Recke spent part of her childhood in the farmhouse of Nerft.
Today, the property still consists of the approximately 9×19 m sized early mansion, an outbuilding and several historic and well-conserved ruins that still show the extent of the former estate.
The Nerft complex was originally built as a three-wing structure, featuring a defensive wall with the bend of the Nereta river offering natural protection. Over time, several houses and outbuildings emerged from the defensive wall. The end result was the development of the three-winged estate.
The oldest building seems to be the fortified brick wall, plastered with lime mortar. This likely dates to the 16th century. The central square was directly opposite the entrance gate and was probably built in the 19th century commercial construction period.
The actual mansion has the typical architectural structures and elements of the 17th century, including the walls, rustic plaster and high, narrow proportions on the exterior. However, the façade was probably rebuilt at the beginning of the 19th century.
The two-storey house sits upon a high basement level and is crowned with a saddle roof. Due to the uncluttered façade and the spaced window columns, as well as the relatively small windows, the house looks quite large. The outer walls are over one metre thick and reinforce this impression, with the house appearing more like a castle.
The room heights are just under 2 m in the basement and then 2.40 m on the first floor. The second floor reaches the expected height of 3 m for buildings of this type.
Another residential wing across from the main house was probably built in the second half of the 18th century. The remains of this are well-preserved.
The property covers a total of approximately 14 hectares. About 8 hectares are comprised of the forest-like park with the range of 100-120 years old linden trees. Two ponds in the park continue the theme of water. Additionally, the access road is gravel and remains in good condition.
The estate is now under heritage protection as a national monument.